It’s Time for Your Dream Office!Articles February 14, 2008
How much time do you spend in your home office each day? 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours or more? If you spend a lot of time in your home office then you should consider giving it a total re-design. Having a clean and inspiring environment is essential to being healthy and working to your fullest potential.
I will point out some tips, resourced and show you a bunch of cool home offices to get you started on your office re-design. When you are done with your new office you will never want to leave!
How to get Started
Check out other peoples office’s, research colors at the paint store and browse office furniture stores and websites so you can get a solid idea of what you want your office to look like.
2. Take measurements and Start Planning
The last thing you want to do is find a cool piece of furniture and then find out it doesn’t fit. So measure your room to see what kind of space you are working with.
3. Prep Work and Painting
Chances are you will need to do some prep work and this could include tasks such as filling holes, removing wallpaper, adding a primer coat of paint to the walls and so on. Once your room is prepped head over to your local paint store to get your paint, rollers, masking tape, brushes, pans and so on so you can paint!
4. Find Your Main Furniture Pieces
Now that your room is painted and ready to go you will need to fill it in with some of the important furniture pieces such as a desk, chair, cabinets and maybe a bookshelf. Feel free to add whatever pieces you want, but cover the basics first and try not to crowd your office.
5. Test Different Layouts
Try moving your furniture pieces around a lot to see what layout will be the most comfortable for you.
Now its time to accessorize and give your new dream office that final touch. There are lots of great accessories out there such as plants, vases, candles or maybe you already have some cool items to display, but don’t forget less is more!
7. Do Some “Spring Cleaning”
The key to a great office to to keep clutter to a minimum. We all have tons of stuff, but do you really need that garden gnome with a missing arm on your bookshelf? ( Weird example, I know) A lot of people have what I like to call “Pack Rat Syndrome” and this is when they just cant get themselves to throw anything out. A nice solution to this is to have a garage sale, or donate some items to your local Good Will.
8. Organize Your Paperwork and Computer Files
The paperwork can pile up fast now a days and the same goes with computers files, so make sure you take some time to get organized and don’t just make this a one time event.
9. Develop Better Habits
Now that you have a great new office that is clean and organized you will want to keep it that way. You will need to get in the habit of cleaning your office on a regular basis. You will feel much better if everything is clean, organized and well designed!
10. Don’t Forget to Leave
Your new dream office is probably pretty awesome now and you may be working harder and better then ever, but you still need some fresh air. So get out and have some fun!
Other Useful Tips
1. Try not to eat in your office, you don’t want crumbs in your keyboard!
2. Find some cable organizers to de-clutter your computer area and look into wireless electronics.
3. Open your window once in a while for some fresh air and natural sun light.
5. Get a paper shredder to dispose of important paper work.
6. Buy a white board to write down important tasks or get a notepad.
7. Get some sticky notes and use them as important reminders.
8. Dedicate a spot in your office for your wallet, keys, phone and other important items so you always know where they are.
Tips for Working With a Tight Budget
Don’t worry there are still plenty of ways to create a great office without buying new furniture or electronics.
1. Hit up garage sales, you will be amazed at what you can find. Don’ be afraid to take old furniture and refinish it so it will look brand new.
2. Find some flea markets; similar to garage sales flea markets can be a good place to find great items at low prices.
3. Check classifieds online such as Craiglist. People usually sell stuff for cheap and there is even a free items section where people are just giving stuff away.
5. Have your own garage sale to raise money towards your office re-design.
6. Sell your old computers and electronics so you can put money towards your new gear.
7. Save all your change each day in a container and then cash it in after a few months.
8. Bring those soda cans and bottles to the recycling center you would be surprised how much you can make!
Cool Office Furniture and Accessory Stores
A final Note
If you don’t’ feel comfortable tackling this project on your own see if you can find an interior designer with reasonable rates to help you or ask some of your friends for their opinions. It seems like a large project, but with the proper planning, it can be a lot of fun and it will really make a difference in how you feel and how you work while in your new dream office!
Some Cool Offices
Feel free to post about your own plans or share photos of your own office with us!